Tuesday 14 May 2013

Top Ten Tuesdays: Books dealing with tough subjects

Top Ten Tuesdays is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme is:
Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects

  
  
 


  1. Ma, He Sold Me For a Few Cigarettes by Martha Long -This book records Martha's terrible childhood from the ages of 4 to 13. It tackles subjects of physical, sexual and emotional abuse but the author manages to keep it lighthearted at the same time.
  2. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosk  - Most of you probably know at least something about this book. Hidden within the amazing story is molestation of children, drug use and mental health issues. These are so well disguised with the interesting story that I barely realised the severity of what I was reading.
  3. Unwind by Neal Shusterman - I'm a huge fan of this book. Not only does it have an amazing story-line and a scary vision of the future but also manages to tackle issues of death and pro-live vs pro-choice arguments, which are really big deals in some parts of the world.
  4. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - This book mixes humour, wit and interesting characters with the reality of cancer and what it does to the sufferer are all those around them. Very sad, but very good.
  5. The Almond Tree by Michelle Corasanti - I reviewed this book just last week, which describes in more detail what I'm saying here. Really this book is such and eye opener to all the suffering in third world counties.
  6. XVI by Julia Karr - Tackles issues of teen sexuality in a world where the media constantly shoves sexual ideas down our throats.
  7. A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer - The very sad real life account of the author's childhood while being abused terribly by his cruel mother. When I read this as a nine year old I was utterly terrified and shocked.
  8. You Against Me by Jenny Downha - About a rape trial and the effects such an accusation has on both families involved.
  9. Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman - In this dystopian book the roles of different races are switched round, giving us a closer look at racism and prejudice.
That's all, I don't have a number 10. I really liked this week's theme. It was a little dark but sometimes it's good to read books that tackle tough issues.

P.S. I've decided to only do Waiting on Wednesdays every other week.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lilac, how did you survive these. I love touching books, but these seem so upsetting, I don't think I could handle them. Especially a Child Calle It :'( Nice post btw!

    ReplyDelete