Saturday 25 May 2013

Old Review: Qeya by Jennifer Silverwood


Title: Qeya
Author: Jennifer Silverwood
Series: Heaven's Edge #1
Genre: YA Science Fiction/Fantasy 
Pages: 88
Rating: ★★★★☆

I'm reading the second book in the series at the moment so I thought I'd post my short review of this from October 2012.

I recieved this books as an R2R in the Goodreads group Young Adult Reads.

This is such a sweet little book that I really enjoyed reading. It's quite short so it's quick and easy to read and perfect for challenges. It's really easy to get into to the story and I was really intrigued to find out about these strange "hunans" that are similar to people but have gills and silvery hair. The story kept my attention the whole time and was very nicely written. I will probably be reading the next in the series at some point 'cause I want to know what'll happen with Ohre, the miner.

The only thing I wasn't too keen on was Ohre's way of speaking. Just about everyone in this book spoke normally but than Ohre would say something and I'd have to re-read what he said because it just didn't match the rest of the book. Here's an exaple of something Ohre says in the middle of a completely normal sounding conversation: “How it be cranking there, Navigator?”
For me this was just annoying but I understand why he speaks like this. It does set him apart from the hunans (he's a miner) but in my opinion it would have made more sense if he talked more normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment