Monday 13 May 2013

Review: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Unravel Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Series: Shatter Me #2
Genre: YA Dystopia
Pages: 461
Rating: ★★★★☆


4.5 stars

This. Was. Amazing.

Seriously, this book was really really really good. I absolutely adore Tahereh Mafi's wrting style. I can't believe I didn't read this book when it first came out in February. I went a whole year without reading Tahereh Mafi's amazing writing!

I especially love the crossing out of sentences. It's so much more effective in this book than it was in Shatter Me, when it was mostly to show how crazy Juliette was. Now it just shows her conflicting emotions and really adds so much to the book. And the repetition of words when she's stressed out and just can't can't can't can't handle it is great too. I mean, it's exactly how a person's mind works in tough situations.

Honestly, I think the writing is what makes this series great. Without it you'd still get a pretty interesting book but you wouldn't feel half as connected to all the characters. Juliette would just seem like a normalish teenage girl if the writing wasn't so unique. Instead she is this complex character with so many different thoughts and battles going on inside her head.

I think it was partly due to this that the author was able to wrench my heart out a few times during the book. This and the pure intensity of every scene. I changed my mind about what Juliette should do about certain things so many times while reading it. At one point I even shouted at the book! I was so mad about what she was doing!

The whole book was just tension, romance, action, tension, romance, tension, action, romance, tension, tension. It was great! So fast paced and unputdownable! I seriously couldn't put it down at all and devoured a huge part of it in one afternoon. Now I just need to sequel.

ASAP!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks like a great read. I've kind of been avoiding the Shatter Me series, but I thin I might give it a go. Great review by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're very good books but there is lot of romance so only read them if you don't mind that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this book! (Especially after reading this review!) This sounds like a book I won't be able to put down :)

    Emily @ Counting in Bookcases

    ReplyDelete