Saturday 1 June 2013

Monthly Summary: May 2013

These are all the books I read in May 2013 and a little about what I thought of them. Click on the book cover to get to the Goodreads page.


The Almond Tree The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti, 348 pages
- ★★★★☆ - 06/05/13

I won this book through Goodreads First Reads and I've got to say it was so much better than I expected. It really opened my eyes to all the terrible things that happen in poorer countries, and was a real shocker. The story was really good and I definitely enjoyed it. Full Review Here


Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling, 766 pages, RE-READ
- ★★★★★ - 11/05/13

This was a re-read and I enjoyed it just as much as I always do. I don't know what else to say about it actually, just that Harry Potter is great, this book was great, and this certainly won't be the last time I re-read it. :)


Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2) Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi, 461 pages
- ★★★★☆ - 12/05/13

Wow! I forgot how much I love Tahereh Mafi's writing style. It truly is unique. It perfectly shows Juliette as a character unlike any other. I love the way she expresses her emotions, and how she can't really handle herself to begin with. I actually love everything about this book and think that it's even better than Shatter Me. Full Review Here


Light (Gone, #6)Light by Michael Grant, 435 pages
- ★★★★★ - 18/05/13

Wow! The last book in the Gone series certainly didn't disappointing. I loved this book! I'm really amazed by how distinct all the characters were, and how much I cared for them all, even the baddies. I'm sad that this wonderful series is over but happy with how it ended. :)


Of Mice and Men (Longman Literature Steinbeck)Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, 149 pages, RE-READ
- ★★★☆☆ - 20/05/12

I had to reread this for school because I have an exam tomorrow. It isn't a bad book but it's not great either, and I've had enough of John Steinbeck to last a lifetime from almost a whole year of constant studying of this one book. I can't wait until next year when we'll be finished with it (unless we all do badly in the exam and have to resit). But when this is all finished I never want to lay eyes on it again.


Telling the Bees Telling the Bees by Peggy Hesketh, 305 pages
- ★★★☆☆ - 29/05/13

Very sweet book. Quite slow but still interesting. The main character is a sweet old man who's been a beekeeper his whole life and I loved learning loads of random things about bees from him. For example, before now I didn't know that a queen bee isn't born a queen bee, but is rather nurtured on stuff called royal jelly to make her develop into a queen bee instead of a normal worker bee. I found all these little bits of information very interesting and it really made Albert feel like a real person dedicated to his bees. Full Review Here


Ohre (Heaven's Edge, #2) Ohre by Jennifer Silverwood, 92 pages
- ★★★☆☆ - 29/05/13

A good sequel, short and sweet. It was good to read one of these novellas from Ohre's point of view but I've got to say I preferred Qeya's point of view a bit. Still very good little book and I'll definitely be reading the next novella, which is in Tamn's POV. It'll be interesting to see what that's like.


Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, 452 pages
 - ★★★★☆ - 31/05/13

I really liked this, it was at least as good as Cinder. It was really cool how we were following two different characters' stories instead of just one and they were both interesting. Marissa Meyer's twist on the Little Red Riding Hood story was very cool and I loved how there was a line or two from Little Red Riding Hood at the beginning of each part. I really need to find out which fairytales Cress and Winter will be based on now.

3 comments:

  1. Seems like it was a pretty good month for books! I still need to finish the Gone series.. Oh, and I just looked on Goodreads and I think Cress is Rapunzel and Winter is Snow White, not sure though! And Scarlet is an awesome book :)

    Emily @ Counting in Bookcases

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I can't wait to see what she does with Snow White and Rapunzel! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reading and reviewing Ohre, Lilac :D

    ReplyDelete